Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good Morning Namibia!

In a bizarre twist of fate, we actually arrived in Windhoek an hour and a half early. I was woken from an awkward sleep by the tv monitors overhead, which burst into life at full volume to invoke the Lord's blessing upon all Intercape customers, and to ask that their relationships and careers be blessed too. All over tinkling piano music and background shots of Bambi-like deer and smiling children. I began to worry that we would be charged extra for all these blessings, and directed my gaze firmly out the window.

It was still dark when the coach dropped us off in the parking lot opposite the Kalahari Sands Hotel, and there wasn't much I could do except sit on the tarmac wrapped in my hoodie, and wait.

Random malformed figures hobbled out from the shadows, bleating something about driving me away with them. I politely refused.

Eventually, as the first glimmer of light started to turn the horizon blue, the bakkie from the guest lodge pulled up, and I remembered the driver from last time. Within minutes I was back at the lodge, being shown my room.

A quick shower and I hit the streets, walking along Robert Mugabe Avenue (seriously). I can never wait to get out and exlore a new place, and I'm still excited by Windhoek even though this is my second visit. I know from experience that the shops will be closing soon, after which I'll spend a quiet, but pleasantly hydrated evening in the bar. I wouldn't have a clue where to go out for a drink in this town, and the last thing I want to do is get lost wandering around a strange African town at night (although it wouldn't be the first time). Anyway, I've got plenty of reading and writing to do, and all day tomorrow to explore.

I haven't had much luck finding a charger for my phone yet, but I'll keep looking.
Hope you're all having a great weekend!

No comments: